Matthew 6:25 - 27

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Who Am I?

We all go through times in our lives when we ask the question "Who am I?". Most of us focus heavily on that question when we are teenagers and then don't think about it much after that. Until we meet someone new and we hear "So, tell me about yourself..." Or we join a social networking site, or start a blog and we try to complete a profile telling the world something "about me".

Think about it. How do you "define" who you
are? Do you, like me, define yourself in terms of your "relationships" (i.e. mother, wife, sister, etc.)? Or your career or occupation (teacher, technician, office worker, etc.)? Maybe you see yourself in terms of your accomplishments (I created ..., I'm the owner of ..., I helped to ..., etc.). This past week I decided that I would look again at how I define "me".

I started by dropping all of the above types of definitions. Once gone, the next step was "now, who am I?" I started with things like, I am a Child of God. Sounds good, huh? Suddenly I started to think about how the Apostle Paul identified himself... as a servant of Jesus Christ, as one "dead" but alive in Christ. Finally I "got it"! There is NO "I"!

I am ... DEAD! It is not "I" who live! It is CHRIST who lives IN ME! The life you see in me, in this body, I live only by faith in Jesus. I am a member of God's household. I am being built up into a holy dwelling for Him to live in! I am a TEMPLE of the Holy Spirit. That's who I am.

I realized that my highest calling was to agree with the apostle Paul ... I resolved to know nothing among you other than Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

If you see "me" walking around, please remind me that I am dead. I only want you to see Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've visited with me today! I'd love to hear from you, too!