Matthew 6:25 - 27

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Cross

Yesterday was Good Friday. It's a day to reflect on the cross of Jesus and it's significance in our lives. A month ago, I posted a blog called "At the Crossroads". It was written the day after Tom's memorial service when I was feeling like I didn't know what direction to move in now. Today marks 6weeks since Tom passed away. I haven't written much in those weeks, but I've had several thoughts that I need to share; and I need to do it today. The cross is a symbol of death. In the past six weeks, I've been thinking a lot about death... mostly Tom's... and what it has resulted in. I've been trying to take care of all of the "things" that need to be done while struggling to figure out how we go forward from here and living with the day-to-day demands of life and the constant emotional upheaval in the lives of my children and myself that affects how we communicate and function day by day. The cross has also become a symbol of "direction" in my life. We all know that a compass rose indicates 4 different directions. We use it to navigate from one place to another ... usually in a linear method (one step in front of the other). Lately, I've been seeing each day in terms of all four directions at once. Think of it this way: if the cross were laid on the floor and you were looking at it from the base, we start each day standing in the center at the place where the two beams cross. Our thoughts, prayers, and activities each day need to be directed in each of the four directions. The long "base" is our past. We need to spend some time reflecting on what is past, completing what is yet undone, learning its lessons, seeking forgiveness for our mistakes and sins, making amends and restitution, making "closure" a reality for what is over, etc. Then, we need to move to the right and to the left as we take care of the schedule and needs of the present day - work, errands, appointments, fulfill commitments, relationship needs, etc. And finally, we need to look ahead to the future - set goals, make plans, seek counsel, and take risks to move forward. To get "stuck" on any one of the 4 "arms" of the path of the cross is to lack balance and to be stunted in our growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've visited with me today! I'd love to hear from you, too!